Bead sizes play a vital role in jewelry making. The arena of beads is vast and with that comes several problems such as not being able to choose the right bead size or the right material for your DIY project.
Knowing the optimum bead size will help you get one step closer to starting your journey with bead jewelry making.
How to choose the best bead sizes?
While choosing round beads size it is essential to know that bead sizes are available in mm instead of cm or inches. Bead sizes are available in ten different sizes and they are mentioned below: –
- 2mm beads: – This bead is preferred for bead embroidery and loom bracelets. Apart from that it is the perfect bead size for creating intricate and detailed designs for your jewelry. It has a hole diameter of 06 mm -0.9 mm.
- 4 mm beads: – This bead is the optimum for making braided or clustered jewelry designs. It is also preferred for making lightweight and delicate jewelry. The bead hole diameter is around 0.8-1mm diameter.
- 6 mm beads: – This bead type is commonly used as spacers for larger-sized bead types. They are preferred for designing non-bulky jewelry and other smaller accessories. The diameter of the bead hole is around 0.8mm -1.2mm
- 8 mm beads: – This bead type helps create several kinds of jewelry. It is the preferred choice for men’s necklaces and bracelets and for designing dangle earrings, and small chandelier beads. The diameter of the bead hole is around 0.8mm -1.2mm.
- 10 mm beads: – This bead type is the most versatile and is preferred for making jewelry for both men as well women. It is commonly used to create beaded necklaces. The diameter of the bead hole is 1mm -1.2mm
- 12 mm beads: – This type of bead is preferred for a wide variety of DIY jewelry as well as crafts. Bracelets, Beaded necklaces, dream catchers and party decorations can be made with this bead. The diameter of the bead hole is around 1-1.5 mm.
- 14 mm beads: – This bead type is preferred for highlighting smaller-sized beads. Bracelets and necklaces can be made with this bead type. The diameter of the bead hole is around 1.5mm -2 mm.
- 16 mm beads: – Double hole bead along with heavy stones can be incorporated to create earrings, bracelets, anklets and necklaces. The hole diameter is around 3mm -5mm.
- 18 mm beads: – It is used to make chandelier beads, curtain decorations and garlands. The hole diameter is 3mm -5mm
- 20 mm beads: – It is preferred for creating bead pendants, figurine heads, keychains and bag charms. The hole diameter is around 5mm.
Thus, staying informed about the various bead sizes will help you choose your materials and supplies. This will also help reduce the costs involved in buying unnecessary items and not using them at all.